This week has been a complete and utter whirlwind. Today I am feeling a mix of “wow, it’s already Friday!” and “Wow, what a long week!” Work has been busy, home has been busy, but it has been mostly fun too. However, our kiddos have alternated (or both have tried) waking up at 5 am almost every day this week, so they are exhausted!! It doesn’t bode well for Daylight Savings time on Sunday because their 5 am wake up will be 4 AM ON THE CLOCK. Ahhhhhhh. I am hoping they fall into a slight sugar coma from Halloween and sleep in. They don’t have sugar very often so it might only take a treat or two 😉
Anyway, here are some random thoughts going through my head this week.
- My 10 K run on Sunday went well, and I am proud to say I finished it *almost* in the time I was hoping for – 1:10:20 (off by 20 seconds, ugh!). I was in a bit of pain later that day, but fine the next day. I know that for some people, 10K is nothing, but for me it was a long way to run and I can’t wait to get some more races in next year (winter is coming here soon – haha).
|After the race with my favourite little cheerleaders 🙂|
- On Sunday night, we finally made it out to see The Martian in theatres. I loved it! I also love that Brian now knows why I am so obsessed with it (he is not a big reader at alllll). I thought it was pretty close to the book in a lot of ways, but I also feel like I was at that perfect window between reading the book and seeing the movie. Does that make sense? If I read a book and then see the movie immediately after, I am almost always disappointed in the movie. This happened to me 3 times with Harry Potter. However, if I’ve forgotten some parts of the book, I’m usually able to enjoy the movie more because I’m not dwelling on the parts they left out. Anyway, The Martian on the big screen was fantastic and I loved the casting & all of the scenery. 5 stars for me for sure. My friend Laura also hosted a Moms Reading online (Facebook) book club chat on Wednesday night and we chatted about The Martian! The book club questions really stimulated my thoughts on the book/movie and it was fun!!
- Although I was in a bit of a reading slump (too busy at night? Too tired? I don’t know?), I have finished a few books this week and right now I’m partway through The Husband’s Secret and SO HOOKED. What is it about Liane Moriarty’s writing? I felt the same way about Big Little Lies when I read it this summer. I get completely hooked and absorbed in the novel to the extent that I can barely think of anything else until I’m finished, and then when I finish it, I still ruminate on it for days. I started The Hypnotist’s Love Story awhile ago on audiobook, but it just didn’t captivate me, so we’ll see how that pans out. I hate not finishing books, but I feel these days that I just don’t want to waste my time reading something that I am not enjoying!!
- I’m trying to do some better meal planning in November. In October, I tried to plan all of our suppers in advance, but I think this plan will work out better if I do it weekly. I did manage to reduce our grocery budget significantly in October, but I know I can do even better with it this month. In a lot of ways, I feel like November is a bit of a “blah” month. The weather is kind of chilly, kind of grey, kind of stormy sometimes, the only holiday is a solemn one (Remembrance Day), and you’re stuck between beautiful October and exciting December. I’m planning to make our November really count this year so that I can enjoy everything coming our way this year at Christmas time.
- I am torn between desiring a weekend away with my husband (we need one!!) and a weekend in my house by myself so that I can clean and tidy a la KonMari. SO torn. Can’t I have both?!?! haha.
Links and posts I loved this week:
- This post about making social plans with new parents. We are absolutely fortunate because our family and friends will happily come to our house to hang out with us and see our kids, or we’re easily able to have someone babysit them and go out ourselves but not everyone is up for that.
- These apple carrot oatmeal cookies were delicious and my kids gobbled them right up
- My go-to-book-recommender posted her 10 books that she can’t stop recommending today…I haven’t read all of these yet, but I can say with certainty that they are great recommendations!!!
- I need to follow this video on foam rolling. Last week, I foam rolled my upper back and caused red lines all over it (I have since had it checked out and it is fine – but I need more education on foam rolling, obviously)
- 10 Best Yoga Moves for Beginners to increase mobility – love this.
- Printable Adult Colouring Pages – I never seem to have time to colour (#avidreaderproblems) even though I bought myself an adult colouring book, but these ones look nice!!
Happy Halloween everyone! We have a butterfly and a bumblebee lined up for tomorrow, but the bumblebee is 18 months old and runs to hide in a corner every time she sees her costume – so we’ll see how that turns out!!! 🙂
Leave a Reply