Happy Friday!! I’m back with another list of 14 things! This time I’m sharing 14 romantic comedies I enjoy. Many of these I have seen over and over again – they are not all high quality films and to be honest I haven’t seen a lot of good NEW romantic comedies. I think the 2000-2010 era produced too many movies in the genre and now there’s not much left to do…BUT I still love it. I think I’ve seen most good OR bad romantic comedies out there. Everyone has their own favourites, but these are some that I personally really like 🙂 Maybe you will find one you haven’t seen before or one you haven’t seen in awhile for something to do this weekend 🙂
By the way, writing this post made me feel SUPER nostalgic…watching these kinds of movies brings me right back to spending a few Fridays a month at the movie theater with friends or watching movies in someone’s basement on the weekend…ahh, the good old days. 🙂
1) Definitely Maybe (2008) – I love Ryan Reynolds and this was a unique and cute story. The ending credits also include this song that I LOVE.
2) Crazy Stupid Love (2011) – I love Emma Stone and I thought this movie was HILARIOUS at times. I like the marriage components…I like the unexpected “twist”…it is cute and funny. Plus, Ryan Gosling…
3) Love Actually (2003) – the best Christmas movie ever 🙂 I watch this almost every year. There are definitely a few story lines that I didn’t love and if you are ever curious about all the types of love shown in the movie, I found this site a few years ago that explains it well but I can’t find it again. The Wikipedia site is a wealth of knowledge though and apparently BBC One broadcast a short film about what everyone was up to 14 years later, so now I need to get my hands on that. Lol. (I know I need to get a life).
4) 10 Things I Hate About You (1999) – RIP Heath Ledger. This movie is so great. I loved The Secret World of Alex Mack as a pre-teen so I really liked seeing Larisa Oleynik in this. I want to rewatch Alex Mack now…sigh. Also, this movie helped me understand The Taming of the Shrew a bit in my Shakespeare class in University, so there’s that! haha. Off topic: I loved Julia Stiles in a bunch of movies, including Save the Last Dance!
5) My Best Friend’s Wedding (1997) – Watched this one probably 10 times as a teenager.
6) Notting Hill (1999) – does it get any better than Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant?
7) He’s Just Not that Into You (2009) – this is another funny movie that I rewatched recently and discovered that I still really like. I love the Jennifer Aniston/Ben Affleck storyline. The Scarlett Johannson one – not so much.
8) Wedding Crashers (2005) – Rachel McAdams is awesome in this movie. It’s not THE best, but it made me laugh and I haven’t seen it in years. Of course, the Notebook would be the preferred Rachel McAdams choice and I like that one too.
9) The Holiday (2006) I loved this when I first saw it, and then didn’t watch it again for YEARS but I watched it over Christmas this past year and yes, it is still so good. 🙂
10) A Walk to Remember (2002) – brings me back to my teenage years. Heartbreaking but cute.
11) PS I Love You (2007) – I saw this in theatres with a friend and my make up was a mess by the end of it. I still loved it though – especially the Irish setting.
12) Knocked Up (2007) We re-watched this both times I was pregnant and it was fun 🙂
13) The Big Sick (2017) I laughed SO hard when we saw this movie in theatres. It is absolutely hilarious and so well done. This photo is from my favourite scene (I laughed so hard I cried):
14) Pride & Prejudice (2005) – I would argue that this isn’t a chick flick but it definitely falls a bit into that category and I LOVE this version of it. I also love the BBC mini-series and watched it all in one sitting once but the Kiera Knightly version is easier to watch time-wise and so beautiful.
Are any of your favourites on this list? Also…a PSA: Don’t ever, ever watch the movie ABOUT TIME when you’re pregnant. I’m not kidding when I say I cried for about 5 hours straight. lol.
A couple of honourable mentions: She’s all That, She’s the Man (lo
l), Hitch…I could go on forever and ever here.
Hope you all have a great weekend! We have a busy-ish day tomorrow including a huge used book sale (YAY!) and a birthday party for an adorable one year old. May the 4th be with you all!!
Leave a Reply