A Day in the Life, January 2017

This post has been in the works for awhile, but I finally managed to track my day! I personally love reading this post on other blogs because I am a bit nosy. This particular day was pretty typical for January 2017. Molly is 5 and in kindergarten (French Immersion), Lucy will be 3 in March, and Brian and I both work full-time so this is what a typical weekday looks like for us.

5:10 am – my alarm goes off. I push snooze once and hop in the shower . Sometimes, I use 20 minutes of time in the morning to work out but I had yoga last night and it was an intense class.

5:30 am – after getting dressed and putting some mousse in my hair to air dry, I make my way downstairs to the kitchen while everyone else is still asleep. This is my “quiet time” in the morning but also my most productive and busy time. I make us breakfast sandwiches using this fun appliance, put a whole frozen chicken in the slow cooker with some spices, and make lunches for all 4 of us. It is a bit of a crazy time, but I don’t mind it.

Molly comes down at 6:15 and starts eating breakfast. Brian brings Lucy down around 6:30 and she starts eating too. The girls are extra cuddly this morning and decide to “help” Brian make our coffee.

I sometimes like to put them up on the counter top so they can be close to me but I’m not holding them

6:30 am- The kids get dressed, and we aim to get out the door by 7 am. This involves reminding kids to eat their breakfast, braiding hair while they are eating, cajoling them into clothing, and listening to a bit of whining, packing backpacks with school things, all while watching the clock. As usual, I breathe a deep sigh of relief when we’re all in the car at 7 am.

7 am – 7:30 am – We all leave the house together. We drop Lucy off at her home daycare down the street and drop Molly off at her before/after school daycare. Lucy didn’t want to go today, which is rare for her, so I feel a twinge of mommy guilt. After we drop them off, Brian and I have about a 10-15 minute drive to the bus terminal to chat about the kids, our schedules, and to argue over the radio station πŸ˜‰ He drops me off at the bus terminal and he parks at work (for free:)).

7:30-7:50 – I take the bus to work. This is when I get to read my book and drink my coffee and sometimes admire the sunrise over the Halifax Harbour. It honestly feels like the most relaxing time of my morning some days πŸ™‚

8:00-4:00 – Work. My work day varies – twice or three times a week I spend my day doing 6 hours worth of neuropsychological testing with patients who have neurodegenerative diseases (MS, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Huntington’s disease) or possible memory problems. The other two or three days are spent writing reports, scoring assessments and other general office work or test preparation. Today, I’m seeing a patient, so my day is super busy and I often don’t really get a break or much of a lunch. I also wore my new red flats today (LOVE them) πŸ™‚

The work day does go by pretty quickly and I finish up in time to walk over (~15 minutes) to catch a bus to meet Brian. I call my mom to chat on the way over to the bus. I also found it funny that this was one of my snacks today:

“Helicopter Heather” cheese stick

4:00-5:00 – take the bus to meet Brian (aka more reading time), pick up the kids, and get home. We usually eat supper right around 5:00 and today is no different. We enjoy a delicious chicken that cooked all day in the slow cooker (=mommy win) with a side of sweet potato fries done in our new Actifry, and frozen peas that just need to be reheated.  The kids get to watch one show (today they picked Tayo the bus) in the living room on Netflix while I’m prepping supper and Brian gets to chill out on the couch or help with the kids πŸ™‚

Brian and I also end up sharing some of our caesar salad with Lucy:

5:30-6:00 – play time with the kids for me. Today, we did some puzzles on the floor and read some books (Molly has homework which is reading in French) but then they started playing together nicely (school AKA Molly is the teacher and Lucy is the student), so I got some supper dishes cleaned up and loaded the dishwasher.

6:00 pm – bath time for both kids tonight – they decided to have one in our en suite tonight but there were no fights, so it was a success!

6:15 – 7:00 – Pajamas on, read a bunch of books, have a quick bedtime snack and off to bed. Brian almost always puts Molly to bed and I put Lucy to bed – this is because Lucy will have a tantrum if I don’t put her to bed. She has let Brian do bedtime a few times lately though and she won’t give him any problems if I happen to not be home at bedtime.

We are super blessed that our kids typically go to bed without much difficulty, go to sleep right away (or at least don’t come out of their rooms), and sleep until at least 6:00 the next morning.

7:00 – 9:30 this depends on the day, but tonight I finished cleaning the kitchen a bit, watched a few episodes of Brooklyn 99 with Brian, did a quick yoga video, read my book and went to bed around 9:30. Brian stays up after I go to bed and plays video games or exercises. That’s our day in a nutshell!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: